Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls as Big as Your Head test recipe 1

 

Ok, so here is the recipe I used last Sunday:

Dough:
1/4 cup butter (I used normal, salted butter)
1 cup milk (mine had 1.5% fat)
25 g fresh, compressed (Swedish) yeast
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature and whisked slightly
1 tsp salt (I used 3/4 tsp. since the butter was salted - maybe less would be better)
4 cups white flour
 
Filling:
1/3 cup butter, softened (I didn't use that much, maybe 1/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar, packed (this amount seemed rather extreme)
2 1/2 Tbs. ground cinnamon (also extreme)
(mix the sugar and cinnamon)
 
Cream cheese glaze:
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
 
 
Directions:
Melt the butter in a saucepan and then mix in the milk to warm it all to a temperature that feels warm but not hot (this is so you don't kill the yeast). Break up the yeast in a large bowl and add a small amount of the milk/butter mixture and stir it until it dissolves. Then add the rest of the milk/butter. Add the sugar, eggs, and salt, and then almost all the flour (try a little at a time - you want the dough to be only slightly sticky, you might need more or less). I then thoroughly mixed it with the dough attachments on a hand-held mixer. (Here I probably should have kneaded the dough by hand but that wasn't in the original recipe, so I will definitely knead it next time!)
 
Butter a large bowl and put the dough in it, turning it to coat. Cover it with plastic wrap and let rise for about an hour until double in size. (here I think I probably didn't have the patience to wait until it really was double in size).
 
Before rising a second time... 
 
I then rolled out the dough to around 12 by 16 inches, spread the soft butter over it and the cinnamon/sugar mixture. (This is too much cinnamon so less next time!). I rolled it up on the long side and cut 12 rolls, placed them on a buttered 11x15 inch glass baking dish, and let them rise 30 minutes (to supposedly double in size but here again, my impatience probably got the better of me and they weren't quite double). Bake 18-20 minutes in 350 degrees Fahrenheit. During this time, whip together the glaze. When the rolls are done (here you have to use your own judgement), take out and immediately spread glaze so that it melts. Let cool and if you aren't feeding customers at a coffeehouse then you can freeze the rolls and they thaw out nicely except that the glaze gets stuck to whatever you freeze them in.
 
 
 
 
 
The glaze was really delicious but just a bit too much cream cheesey so next time I'll try another version.
 
Today we ate up the last two....so good...can they be any better? We shall see.

I am going to the States for a visit and am ordering several cookbooks that should be a help on my project. One of my favorite things to do when I visit is to peruse used book stores so I'm hoping there should be some hidden treasures there too...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment