Saturday, August 10, 2013

Breadfarm visit

One great thing I got to do while visiting the States was going behind the scenes at a real bakery. It was a national bakery day (or something) so certain bakeries around the country were celebrating by opening their doors and showing customers around.

Even though my mom doesn't know I'm obsessed with Sunshine, she booked a tour for our family of a bakery in Edison, Washington, called Breadfarm.



This field trip was a dream come true for me. It was an unseasonally warm day in little Edison, which basically consists of one little curvy road (ok, not really true but if you just drive through then that is what you'll remember). Outside of the bakery we were greeted by a women who checked us off her list, and then offered a tray of goodies for us to choose from (why oh why had I eaten such a big lunch that day?). I chose a huge croissant which melted in my mouth. It turned out that it wasn't just our family, but several groups who were going for the tour, so we were divided into three large groups and were then shown the process of creating baguettes: making the dough, shaping it and then baking it.

They also had cookies but by the time I got around to trying one I was not hungry at all so it was really wasted on me. The cookies were quite rustic looking and thick.

When we were in the back of the bakery I tried to soak up the ambience for future reference, observing the workers while they made bread (there must have been at least 10 bakers in the back.) I was thinking of Sunshine all the while, and wondering if any of the bakers there had read it, as well if any of their tattoos were wards...

No comments:

Post a Comment